Sports Physicals in Chicago, IL
A sports physical, or pre-participation exam (PPE), is an assessment conducted by a doctor to determine whether it’s safe for an aspiring athlete to participate in sporting activity. During sports physicals, the doctor evaluates your overall well-being, and your susceptibility to injuries and provides a professional opinion on whether you should participate in sports.
Sports physicals are mandatory in many states in the US. If you’re active in sports and hoping to be a part of the competitive season, you can get your sports physicals in Chicago, IL, at Lau Medical.
What Happens During Sports Physicals?
Sports physicals are divided into two parts—the first part revolves around your medical history, while the second part is the physical examination. During your sports physical, our doctor in Chicago, IL, will ask you several questions aimed at helping them assess certain aspects of your health. You must answer these questions truthfully.
The questions our doctor will ask you are in regards to:
- Your family medical history
- Chronic conditions or illness such as diabetes, asthma or epilepsy
- Your allergies, if any
- Previous major treatments you’ve undergone, such as surgery and hospitalization
- Whether you’ve previously experienced complications such as dizziness or shortness of breath during exercise
- Previous injuries sustained during or outside of sports
- Your current medications, including over-the-the counter drugs, supplements, and prescription drugs
We advise parents to assist their children in filling out the medical information form accurately. If you’re not sure about a question, leave it blank and discuss the same with our doctor. We don’t recommend giving answers you’re unsure about or giving answers that you think the doctor will like.
For the physical examination, our doctor will be looking for indicators that you’re in excellent health to engage in physical activity. As such, the doctor will measure your weight and blood pressure, as well as your height and heart rate. Also, our doctor will evaluate your posture, flexibility as well as your vision. We also check your heart, lungs, ears, nose, and throat to determine if you’re fit for sports.
Preparing for Your Sports Physical
Here’s what to remember if you’re coming for a sports physical at Lau Medical:
- Brush up on your medical history so that you can answer all questions accurately.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, as this will allow the doctor to perform the physical examination with ease.
- Organize any relevant documents that you’d like our doctor to have in a single folder. Such materials include details of previous hospitalizations and current medications.
- Remember to bring with you any medical appliances such as dental appliances that you use daily.
If you’re in Chicago, IL, you can get sports physicals near you by contacting Lau Medical today.